Re: [SLE] /var/log/boot.log is 0 bytes
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:09:58 -0500
Andreas Philipp wrote:

> El Lun 28 Mar 2005 20:39, Felix Miata escribió:

> > I have 8.2 installed on 2 systems. This file is dated 26 Sep 2003 and 0
> > bytes on both. Isn't this file supposed to be a mirror of the messages
> > that flash on screen during boot? How do I enable saving boot messages
> > to this file? On my Mandrake systems this is apparently enabled by
> > default.

> On my 8.2 systems there is no /var/log/boot.log file at all; maybe I have
> wiped it from the disks long ago, I don't remember. The boot messages are
> in /var/log/boot.msg.

My purpose is a diagnostic exercise. SuSE 8.2 & Mandrake 10.2 are both
installed on the same system. SuSE boots. Mandrake doesn't. I need to
figure out why. /var/log/boot.log on Mandrake looks like this:
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/attachment.cgi?id=2851

SuSE's /var/log/boot.msg, which has no Mandrake counterpart, bears
little resemblance to Mandrake's /var/log/boot.log, and has no value for
this diagnostic exercise. I need to get SuSE to generate a similar file
to do me any good.
--
"In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you."
Matthew 7:12 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

< Previous Next >