Re: [SLE] /var/log/boot.log is 0 bytes
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:27:10 -0500
Ken Schneider wrote:

> boot.msg is for what happens during the boot process
> only, /var/log/messages is for log file for what takes place while the
> system is running ( after the boot process ).

See my Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:09:58 -0500 thread response to this issue.
What I'm up against is a failure of the boot device to be properly used.
SuSE behaves as expected. Mandrake is giving "no init found" kernel
panics. I'm trying to find out why.

SuSE will only boot when the BIOS is set to compatible mode, but finds
the SATA boot device on /dev/hda18. When Mandrake 10.2 was installed on
the same SATA device (/dev/hda7), it treated it as /dev/sda7. I've done
so much messing around with it I can't remember precisely which
device(s) were attached during installation, which is what is
responsible for the kernel panics. I'm trying to get back to that point
without reinstalling, so I boot SuSE to make configuration adjustments,
then try to boot Mandrake. Mandrake for some reason is only finding the
CDROM on the PATA controller, calling it /dev/hda, and apparently
ignoring the SATA attached device, even though that's where the boot
loader found its kernel and initrd.

This is the motherboard:
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=92&LanID=0&DetailID=298&DetailName=Specification
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-185-049&depa=1
--
"In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you."
Matthew 7:12 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

< Previous Next >