Re: [SLE] /var/log/boot.log is 0 bytes
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:13:06 -0500
Ken Schneider wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 22:46 -0500, Ken Schneider wrote:

> > Did you try a Mandrake list to solve your Mandrake problem?

First thing to do was make the boot messages show up on SuSE, so that's
why I started here. Then it became apparent there were overlapping
issues.

The project is really all about figuring out this game of so many
devices pretending to be SCSI. On this particular motherboard, there is
ICH6 support for up to 6 ATA devices. The OS shouldn't be pretenting any
devices connected to those ports are anything but ATA devices. I doubt
it's a problem tied to any specific distro.

> Further, it looks like you have the mount points messed up. I would
> start there to try to solve the problem.

I know this is the problem. I'm trying to figure out why it's a problem,
what's at its root.

One might suggest I try installing a newer SuSE and see if it behaves
the same. I expect it would, because I think it is the 2.6 kernel that
is responsible, with 2.4 behaving as expected, but 2.6 pretending SATA
is PATA. If so, it can't be done, due to an artificial obstacle: the
SCSI 16 partition per device limit. I have plenty disk space, but the
partition count is already 37, and all the freespace is above #18. SuSE
is working because it's using hda18 for /. If I try to put another on
hda19 and the kernel thinks the device is SCSI, it won't work.
--
"In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you."
Matthew 7:12 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

< Previous Next >