resmgr + cdrecord
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:29:11 +0200
Hi all,

At some point, I compiled and installed the latest k3b (think it was 0.11.18
then), same as I have always done. After that writing cds as normal user
stopped functioning. I get:

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
cdrecord: Resource temporarily unavailable. Cannot get mmap for 4198400 Bytes
on /dev/zero.

I suspect resmgr is at fault, but I cannot figure out exactly how.
Uninstalling the k3b rpm I build and reinstalling the one that shipped with
SUSE doesn't help. Adding "paride" to /dev/cdrecorder in /etc/resmgr.conf
didn't help either.

I'll include my resmgr.conf. I have only one device, a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo,
standard IDE. This is in SUSE 9.2 btw.

# This is the default set of devices people logged in on the desktop get
# access to:
class desktop
#
# Standard multimedia devices
add /dev/audio desktop
add /dev/mixer desktop
add /dev/dsp desktop
add /dev/sequencer desktop
add /dev/video desktop
#
# Modem device
add /dev/modem desktop
#
# CD-ROMs - giving permission to open the corresponding SCSI
# device is highly useful for CD writers such as cdrecord.
add /dev/cdrom desktop paride
add /dev/cdrom1 desktop paride
add /dev/cdrecorder desktop paride
add /dev/dvd desktop paride
add /dev/dvd1 desktop paride
add /dev/sr0 desktop
add /dev/sr1 desktop
add /dev/sr2 desktop
add /dev/sr3 desktop
#
# Dito for SCSI scanners, which all use /dev/scanner symlink.
add /dev/scanner desktop scsi
#
# make /dev/console accessible read-only
add /dev/console desktop read-only
#
# Allow access for pilot utils
add /dev/pilot desktop

#
# By default, grant access to all USB devices
# except for HID and hub devices
# NB: the exclude rules must come first, else they'll
# be useless.
exclude usb:class=3 desktop
exclude usb:class=9 desktop
add usb:any desktop

#
# This rule grants access to users logged in locally
#
allow desktop tty=/dev/tty[1-9]* || tty=tty[1-9]* || tty=:0

# For serial gphoto cameras.
# add /dev/ttyS0 desktop
# add /dev/ttyS1 desktop
#
# Sample rules, do not enable by default:
#
# This rule denies access to users uucp and news
#
# deny desktop user=uucp || user=news
#
# This rule gives access to all members of group wheel
#
# allow desktop group=wheel
#
# To make resmgr work with ssh, for instance, add the following
# line to /etc/pam.d/sshd:
# session optional pam_resmgr.so fake_ttyname
# When a user logs in, a resmgr session will be opened, and
# access will be granted automaticially to all resource classes
# matched via access control statements in resmgr.conf.

Thanks
--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy