Re: [SLE] UTC and localtime
  • From: pelibali <pelibali@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:46:14 +0100
Hi Patrick,

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:47:17 -0500
Patrick Shanahan <.> wrote:

> * pelibali <.> [01-25-05 15:35]:
> > Concerning the same topic I still would have a (for me) too
> > advanced question: how to automatize that? I mean
> > half-automatically, when I'm online through my dial-up (I use
> > Kinternet to connect); or I ride our LAN, how to setup the script
> > you corrected to run_once_ after the connection was made, or the
> > net-cable was attached?!
>

> here is a perl script written for isdn, but dialup works the same:
>
> edited /etc/ppp/ip-up.local to
> if( $t_diff ge $max_diff ){
>
> this will correct the time once a day when connecting.

During the weekend I had time to evaluate your code more carefully,
and I'm extremely sorry, but have to send now even a bugfix for it:(
You emphasized, that you don't know PERL too much; but I have to
correct this for the archive, and for the sake of newbies (similar to
me), who like just copy&paste...
While running the first script, I realized, that the program _always_
updates the time, and not only once per 24 hours! Checking the code
again and again, I found, that in the line I quoted now the usage of
'ge' is not correct. It should be rather '>=', because we compare
numbers with PERL, where it really does matter.

Thanks again for taking your time, and sending me answers/scripts; and
please don't take the above to seriously.

--
Best regards,

Pelibali

  • No further messages