Re: [SLE] Backup to CD/DVD -- recommended software?
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:46:11 -0500
On Tuesday 01 February 2005 5:59 pm, Christopher Carlen wrote:

> Actually, for something repetitive like this, a GUI program is NOT the
> obvious solution. A script is.

I considered using a script -- and I do know how to use the utilities. But as
far as I can tell, the process operates "blind" -- there's no visible
indication of its progress. K3B has a nice progress bar, and that's why I
wanted to use it. Also, if something goes wrong there's a very visible
error message.

Any ideas on how to construct a script that will do the right thing and also
display a progress bar? Or is that not possible?

I'm trying to set this up so that someone who doesn't know Linux can just come
over to the terminal and click on a couple of buttons, and be able to fix
that which is easily fixable. Associating a script with a desktop button
would be perfect if not for the issue of the progress bar and error messages.

Paul