Re: [SLE] mouse/trackball cleaning (OT)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:07:54 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2005-02-01 at 19:42 -0500, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> > ps/2 port? Maybe my hardware is funny, but it happened on two PCs. If
> > I move really fast, the cursor freezes for a moment, it looses data sent
> > from the mouse.
>
> Yes, ps/2 port and with a usb adaptor I think.

No usb adaptor, mine is older. I think there was a ps/2 to rs232 convertor
included, but I never used it, except for some tests when I bough it.

> > For example, I send the ball spinning on its hole, and the cursor just
> > dances about the same spot till the ball slows down. In windows it bangs
> > to the border, fast.
> >

> No such problem here.... Well maybe a little. I just did a quick spin of
> the ball and the cursor did sit for maybe a 1/3 of a second and then it took
> off. But that is extreme and would never be noticable (or a problem) in
> normal use. I would suspect maybe every trackball would do the same.

It is extreme, yes. But I can move my finger fast in normal use and see
how the cursor doesn't quite follow me. And... in windows it does follow
my movement, therefore, it should do the same in Linux. It is not a
problem of this mouse, another computer with a standard Microsoft mouse
and SuSE 7.3 (ie, old) does the same thing. It must be something handling
the ps/2 port.

It is not serious, but I notice it. So I move my finger a trifle slower,
but I wonder at the "why" :-)

> > > I *do* have a problem sometimes with it making a 'jump' movement when I
> > > am trying to zero in on something with the cursor. For example, getting
> > > ready to click on a kmail folder or email line and it jumps up one line.
> > > Same with a menu choice.
> >
> > Setting two speeds helps. Acceleration, I think they call it. But my mouse
> > does not moves by "lines", just by pixels. Or do you refer to the wheel?
> > That one jumps, yes. Touchy design.
>
> Hmm Maybe we are talking two different mice here. Mine says 'Logitech Marble
> Mouse USB' on the bottom plate. No wheel. It has two large buttons on
> either side of it and two small buttons as a part of the large buttons.

No, different model. This is a "Trackman Marble+", three buttons, the
middle one a wheel that can be pressed (acting as the middle button) or
rotated, which XFree interprets as buttons 4 and 5:

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

This wheel came in two "flavours": one that moves smoothly, and another
in "clicks". The ball is red with seemingly random black dots. And I have
seen it used by mechanics with greased hands :-)

The wheel movements are interpreted usually as scroll up/down, and that
movement sometimes bounces a line in the wrong direction.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson