Re: [SLE] Help: Suse 9.1 box won't boot!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:24:59 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2005-02-01 at 17:20 -0800, Christopher Carlen wrote:

> > This second script is wrong. There are two mistakes: one is to wrongly
> > report the RO status (because the script is derived from the first one).
> > The other is misleading you to think that the root filesystem is faulty,
> > when it is some other partition.
> >
> > Ah!
> >
> > I see it clear, it happened to me as well when I deleted a partition and
> > forgot to remove it from the fstab file. I got the same error as you did.
>

> Carlos E. R., you are brilliant!!! Thanks for the reply. I had almost
> forgotten about this problem, since I got my system working again by putting
> fs_passno=0 for the extra HD. Once I put it back in the system I think it
> doesn't matter.

I'll put that comment on a golden frame, and show it to prospective
employers :-p

> I am very happy you thought about the script, and looked at it. I had
> suspected there was really a bug, since we agree it should not have behaved
> this way.

I like detecting problems. This one I can not solve, I'm not a good script
programmer. Not even a Linux programmer. But investigating problems is
like a good game of... whatever.

And to tell you the truth, I have looked at that script several times, but
I never noticed there were two of them till today. Pure chance.

> So this is actually quite serious. It should be reported to Suse.

At least a nuisance.

> I would say that responsibility should be mine.

Good, I browse very little, I use a modem :-)

> I will make a note of it. Unfortunately, now I am deep into experiments with
> DVD burning, for the first time. Hopefully I won't forget about this issue.

Point them to this thread, they should be reading the list on paid time.

> Good day!

Yap, I'm closing for the day. I was watching a movie and it has just
finished.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson