Re: [SLE] Backup to CD/DVD -- recommended software?
  • From: Christopher Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:18:25 -0800
Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
On Tuesday 01 February 2005 5:59 pm, Christopher Carlen wrote:

Actually, for something repetitive like this, a GUI program is NOT the obvious solution. A script is.

I considered using a script -- and I do know how to use the utilities. But as far as I can tell, the process operates "blind" -- there's no visible indication of its progress. K3B has a nice progress bar, and that's why I wanted to use it. Also, if something goes wrong there's a very visible error message.
Any ideas on how to construct a script that will do the right thing and also display a progress bar? Or is that not possible?

It's actually not so bad. mkisofs outputs a lot of info. My script has no logic to deal with errors, only gives an opportunity to verify that mkisofs succeeded, and check that the .iso will fit on the disk. Then press enter to proceed to writing. This could be automated more by someone with better scripting abilities. Mine are obviously rudimentary.

Then cdrecord outputs considerable information. You can actually watch the progress quite well, in terms of both speed and a display of "xxx or yyy MB written" or something like that.

Actually, I like using the tools directly better than having the bar graphs. But, each to his own.

I'm trying to set this up so that someone who doesn't know Linux can just come over to the terminal and click on a couple of buttons, and be able to fix that which is easily fixable. Associating a script with a desktop button would be perfect if not for the issue of the progress bar and error messages.

Paul

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen