Re: [SLE] Sound Card Still Squealing Away [still no joy]
  • From: William Gallafent <william@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:34:47 +0000
On Wednesday 02 February 2005 20:27, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> I haven't been following this but at one time (with an
> older SB live card) there was quite a sound coming from
> the speakers. I dug down in some of the advanced settings
> and found something like 'ic928' or a similar weird name.

IEC958 on my machine. It's the digital (SP/DIF) output,
which with my card shared the headphone output! So yes,
switching it off (or muting it, in alsamixer parlance)
should remove the horrible hissing noise.

> Turning that setting off squelched the noise with no ill
> effects.

Unless you plugged a digital interconnect in to the socket,
and wanted e.g. your cinema amp to be able to decode digital
audio streams for you! ;)

I hadn't been following the thread either, but I suspect
that this was the cause - so, to the OP, if you haven't
already tried, then mute everything in alsamixer, then
unmute the things you actually use!

--
Bill

< Previous Next >