Re: [SLE] Sound Card Problems - SB0400 Audigy 2 Value
  • From: William Lugg <wlugg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:29:45 -0700
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded all the rpms available at
packman.links2linux.com and ran:
rpm -Uvh alsa-1.0.8-0.pm.0.x86_64.rpm

It did a few uninteresting things and then reported:
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1194: No soundcards found...
...skipped

Now, if I look at the SuSE hardware tool, it can see the sound card and
recognizes it as a "Creative Multimedia audio controller". Clearly the OS,
at some level can see the sound card, but apparently Alsa can't. Does this
indicate that I need to rebuild the kernel module? If so, are there any
pointers I should follow or bumps I should watch out for? What else can I do
to try to get this beast working? It is becoming a rather frustrating
problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
--
Bill Lugg
Milstar Software Support

On Mon, 31 January 2005 8:55 pm, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> William Lugg wrote:
> >I recently installed SuSE 9.2 on my AMD64 machine that runs a Creative
> >Soundblaster (Model SB0400) Audigy 2 Value. I've updated through YOU to
> > the latest kernel. YaST can't configure the soundcard so I contacted the
> > alsa-user list and a poster said that I needed the latest version of Alsa
> > since support for this card was just added.
> >
> >My questions are as follows:
> >1. I have to recompile the alsa kernel modules. When I went to the Alsa
> > site, there were six or seven items I could download, but it was not
> > clear which I need to get sound for gaming and music playback to work.
> > Is the driver module all I need?
>
> No.
>
> >2. I assume that I need to uninstall the alsa components that YaST
> > installed originally, right?
>
> No, just update with the newer packages.
>
> >3. Does anybody have any other pointers that might help me get this done?
>
> You can get newer alsa packages from http://packman.links2linux.com, or
> from my apt repository for x86_64 machines,
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-jmorris/ .
>
> >I asked these questions on the alsa-user list, but got no response, so I
> >thought I'd try here. Also, I'm still kind of green at doing this kind of
> >work, so I want to be sure that I don't hose something up in the process.
>
> Suse backports a lot of kernel improvements, so I would suggest just
> trying to update the alsa packages first and see if you are good to go.
> If you need to recompile the kernel modules, then it will be more work.
> --
> Joe Morris
> New Tribes Mission
> Email Address: Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx