Re: [SLE] Portal and CMS recommendations
  • From: "edwin" <edwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:14:16 +0700
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:50:08 +0100, Togan Muftuoglu wrote
> Hi,
>
> I am in need of selecting a Portal and CMS( content management
> system). I have found quite a bit of them and as a result I need
> some recommendations.

I choose phpwebsite from http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwebsite)

It still in beta status. But it enough for me

> 1) Ease of install : It would be great if rpms for SUSE were available.
> Should not need to install packages that are not in the SUSE DVD.
> That way I do not need to track bugreports for lots of tiny small packages

AFAIK there is no rpm for SuSE. But the tar file is very straight forward if
you ever use Apache and mySQL.

> 2) Ease of management: For the System administrator it would be
> highly beneficial if click and go style management interface was
> available. I currently do not have any ideas on the experience of
> system admin so it should be something with the KISS principle :-)

Yes it can.

> 3) Content update: The software would be used by adult learners. It
> should be fairly easy to add documents and update the content. It should
> work flawlessly with Internet Explorer allowing documents to be uploaded
> via browser. No need of knowing HTML or else should be needed. It should
> be like a simple text editor so users can use it without learning
> something new.

Of course, there is an editor ;-)

> 4) Search facilities: It should be able search the documents base

It also has.

> 5) Forums, maillinglist, RSS/RDF, polls, calender of events should be
> available. ( these are the minimum other possibilities are welcomed)

The poll is very easy to manage.

> 6) It should be as secure as possible and in stable status with
> continuing development. No need to say that it should be in Open Source
> License

It has GNU LPGL

> I would very much appreciate if you can recommend packages along with
> your comments what made you choose that particular one
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Togan Muftuoglu |
> Unofficial SUSE FAQ Maintainer | Please reply to the list;
> http://susefaq.sf.net | Please don't put me in TO/CC.
> Nisi defectum, haud refiecendum

It's Nice to help you

M. Edwin