How does it work: Konqueror's "Devices"
  • From: Christopher Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 07:43:11 -0800
Hi:

I have Suse 9.1. In older Suse's <= 8.2 I had to use an icon on the desktop to mount and unmount removable media. There was also no submount/subfs.

Since I have been using 9.1, I have used Konqueror's "Devices" tab which appears in the "Navigation Panel" to mount and unmount media, or to see if USB media has been recognized.

On my system, I have removed CDs, floppies, and DVDs from the influence of submount, because it was a pain in the butt. I prefer manual mounting and unmounting for removable media in fixed drives, if it is convenient. But I still use submount for USB media.

The old way of using the desktop icons was very *inconvenient* because I like to dedicate a single desktop to two Konquerors for file management and exploring. I don't like to have to go to another desktop to find a media icon to mount/unmount it.

The Devices tab with it's ability to right-click to mount/unmount media is *really cool* and something I have been very happy about since discovering it in 9.1. It means I don't have to move an application window aside to access the media icon on the desktop, or click to another empty desktop to access the icons.

My question is: how does the Devices tab work? What controls the devices which appear there and how they are represented?

There appear to be some inconsistencies. For instance, I found /dev/cdrecorder to be an excessively long name, so I deleted the /media/cdrecorder dir and /dev/cdrecorder link.

I replaced them with /dev/cdrw and /media/cdrw, and made appropriate modifications to /etc/fstab.

In this case, the name of the device shown in Konqueror is still:

CD Recorder

but fortunately it still works to mount and unmount my /dev/cdrw device. Why doesn't it change it's display name to "CDRW" or something? What file controls this?

In the case of my DVD drive I can use both DVD+-R(W) media, as well as DVD-RAM. Since the two kinds of DVD media have to be mounted differently (DVD+-R is iso9660, while on DVD-RAM I use ext2), I made dirs /media/dvdram and /media/dvdrw, and also made links /dev/dvdram and /dev/dvdrw to point to the appropriate device. I deleted all of Yast's automagic configuration and made it my way.

In this case, the display in Konqueror|Devices for the two devices is:

DVD (dvdram) [/media/dvdram]
DVD (dvdrw) [/media/dvdrw]

Notice how the DVD entries show the details of the device name and mount point, whereas the CD Recorder entry doesn't show this. Oh, also the floppy drive shows as simply "Floppy."

What controls all of this? The DVD entries seemed to change as soon as I modified the /dev/ links and /etc/fstab (I don't recall which modification actually triggered the change in Konqueror, though). So it seems Konqueror monitors this stuff continually. Or is it some other part of KDE?

Here is a copy of my /etc/fstab as well for reference:

> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda2 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/sda1 swap swap pri=42 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrw /media/cdrw auto ro,noauto,user,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto rw,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/dvdram /media/dvdram auto rw,noauto,user,exec,sync 0 0
/dev/dvdrw /media/dvdrw auto ro,noauto,user,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

> ll /dev/dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2005-01-24 17:08 /dev/dvdram -> hde
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2005-01-25 16:37 /dev/dvdrw -> hde
> ll /dev/cdr*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2005-01-25 16:44 /dev/cdrw -> hdg

Thanks for input.

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen