Re: [SLE] Missing xterm
  • From: Brad Bourn <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:01:16 -0700
Whatching this thread, can't help thinking there must be a greater problem.

As far as I know, xterm would be like notepad for winDOZE, should be on just
about all machines with X by default, at least with SuSE anyway. The fact
that it 'disappeared' is worrysome. This is what I call a "poke in the eye".
Your system is telling you that there is some greater problem happing and if
you simply re-install xterm or use another program, your not necessarily
fixing the problem, more band-aiding the effects. Could be something like
your harddrive is dying, or worse.....

FYI

B-)

On Thursday 03 February 2005 10:56 am, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> Quoting jalal <the_jalal@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > >
> > ># rpm -qf `which xterm`
> > >xorg-x11-6.8.1-15
> >
> > Well thanks for the replies
> >
> > $ which xterm
> > gives nothing.
> > $ rpm -qf /usr/bin/xterm
> > gives nothing (obviously).
> >
> > However, one of my machines (the server) does have /usr/bin/xterm.
> > All machines installed from the same DVD set, but the server has only a
> > minimal install (enough for a vnc setup), the other machines have, at
> > some point, had the xorg-*.rpm's upgraded, so at some point, xterm has
> > gone AWOL.
> >
> > I'll look into installing rxvt, maybe that will do the trick.
> >
> > cheers
> > jalal
>
> rxvt doesn't support UTF-8, so you may have problems with accented
> characters. (I.e., I don't know which country is FM and what the
> native language is.)
>
> HTH,
> Jeffrey

< Previous Next >