To: <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [SLE] Explanation of parameters in menu.lst

Thanks for the explanation. Is there is a place this is documented?

Thanks,
Ryan

"Jeffrey L. Taylor" <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/03 2:28 pm >>>
Quoting Ryan McCain <Ryan.McCain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
There are a few parameters I can't find the meaning for in my menu.lst file:
1) vga=0x314 --What exactly is 0x314? I would think this would be a plain number such as 700

These are not simple numbers, but bit patterns, so hex makes more sense. There is a chart in January '05 issue of LInux Magazine. 0x314 is 65K colors at 800x600.
2) selinux=0 --I assume this has something to do with Security
Enhanced
Linux, but what specifically? 3) splash=silent --What splash screen is this disabling? 4) resume=/dev/hda2 --I have no idea what the resume parameter
does??
For suspend to swap and perhaps suspend to disk. I.e., laptops.
5) desktop elevator=as showopts --Once again, I've never heard of "desktop elevator"..

desktop means run the clock at 1000Hz instead of 100Hz so the desktop is more responsive. Not needed/wanted on a server. Causes more context switches, so more system overhead.
Thanks, Ryan..

Your welcome, Jeffrey
--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@xxxxxxxx Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com Please read the FAQs: suse-linux-e-faq@xxxxxxxx