Re: [SLE] kicked out of graphical boot mode
  • From: Peter B Van Campen <peterb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:15:53 -0600
On Friday 04 February 2005 7:41 am, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 08:27, devosc wrote:
> > I'm logged in as root and it won't allow me to enter the .X11-unix
> > dir, says permission denied ?
> >
> > G.
>
> Since you mentioned that you heard a clicking sound when the system
> froze up it sounds like a hard drive problem occurred which could
> have corrupted a file system. Before re-installing try booting to the
> rescue system (1st cd/dvd) and run fsck on the primary disk and see
> if any problems are reported. fsck should fix them unless the disk
> has gone bad.
Hi,

Before doing anything drastic try this: Using PICO or another editor
that you like edit /etc/X11/XF86Config, find thie section that has
this:

Section "Device"
BoardName "0x0322"
BusID "1:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Screen 0

and change the "nvidia" to "nv"

and try booting again.

If one of the last kernel updates from YOU was done then you needed to
re-install the nvidia drivers again. It wouldn't hit your sys till the
next re-boot.

PeterB

Proud SUSE user since 5.2
Loving SUSE 9.2