Re: [SLE] kicked out of graphical boot mode
  • From: Jeffrey Laramie <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:18:36 -0500
On Friday 04 February 2005 09:54, devosc wrote:
> I treied to run the repair utility from the install cds and it
> couldn't fix the problem on the hardrive (hda2)...
>
> So I've just had to bite the bullet and re-install, just means a weeks
> work is lost etc..., however I'm a bit disappointed that this has
> happened to me again (for the second time), last time I clearly knew
> it was a hard drive problem... is there something that I can do to
> monitor this, or try to do to ensure the system is healthy etc...
>
> G.

Same hard drive? In my experience HD corruption is usually from running out of
disk space or a hardware problem. Disk space is easy to monitor and 40GB is
plenty. Be careful you don't slice your disk into lots of little partitions.
With modern distros that usually causes more problems than it solves. As far
as the hardware goes I'd resolve that before doing another install. Every HD
maker has a free utility for checking their discs. The Seagate one works well
with all disks and also tests the system HD controller and the system ram.
For ongoing monitoring install smartd to monitor the SMART status of your
discs. It's in the smartmontools package.

Jeff

< Previous Next >