Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.0 OpenOffice.org slowdown in opening files and swap space usage
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:34:39 -0500
On Friday 04 February 2005 05:00 am, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> I have over the last few days noticed that a particular OOo
> Spreadsheet(70k) and Writer(1.2Mb) document I work on daily, is opening
> up slower and slower. Whilst I realize that it may be because I am using
> an older version (1.1.0) of OOo, it does not seem to explain why it has
> suddenly got slower over the last week.
>
> The box is a 1Ghz AMD with 256Mb of RAM and a 256MB swap partition.
>
> I have not done any SuSE updates when it started going slow, nor have I
> done any since.
> I opened another terminal and top'd to see what the CPU usage was whilst
> opening one of them and noted that, whilst it was opening the sxc file,
> it had idle time of between 1.8 and 0.00 and yet the 250MB swap was
> being minimally used ie 4-8Mb. I normally do not have any other apps
> open at the same time, although as the spreadsheet helps me monitor my
> net usage, I might have Mozilla 1.4 open. Normally though the swap space
> usage increases.
> The file takes approx 5 minutes to load to edit and its size is as
> mentioned above(as per konqueror file manager).
>
> Any ideas about why so little swap is being used when opening either of
> these files? Is it possible the swap partition has become corrupted and
> needs to be 'reinitialized'? How can I clear it out, perhaps daily and
> revitalize it?
>
> Over the weekend I am going to try and update OOo via Yast to 1.1.3 as
> that is what I have on the 9.2 CD's? But still why suddenly get slower?
> Both files reside on my /home partition and the system on boot hasn't
> needed to fsck the partition.

Look at top again while doing the OO open and report what the line Cpu(s)
says. Quite often there is a process that is soaking up a lot of system
(sy) time. I also know that opening Acroread in a mozilla session can soak
up the entire machine. There is a bug there somewhere because it doesn't
happen when opening a PDF outside of moz.

If you really want a test, reboot and do your OO open first thing. My guess
is that it will go quickly but that won't tell you where the problem lies.

< Previous Next >