permanent VNC session
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:05:51 -0600
Hi,

this topic was floating around, but I did not find a good solution so far.

What I wan to do is, when I establish a VNC session, to reuse an
existing one, and if there is no, to get a kdm login screen. I.e. it's
again the same :)

So far, if I log in locally, and enable remote desktop, it is OK, but
that's not what I need. It breaks if meanwhile my wife switched the
user. Even my session is still active in background, I can not connect
to it.

So, I need a real virtual only (for vnc) session, in which I can run
some long-lasting processes, and they will keep running. And if need
access to that session locally, I can always fire vnc localhost.

I do not know why, but now if I enable remote access in yast, I only
get empty X screen in vnc, not a login screen. How should I fix it.

And ... last question: is it possible, and how, to run the machine in
init 3 (this is co-located server, so I really do not need to waste
resources for running X), but to be able to get remote (vnc) X
session, when I need to work remotely.

All above of course is run with ssh tunnels, and there is no problem
to create the appropriate tunnels :) The problem is with the vnc/X
config.

Thanks
Sunny

--