Re: [SLE] kicked out of graphical boot mode
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 00:48:25 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2005-02-04 at 12:21 -0600, devosc wrote:

> funny that the power supply is mentioned... months ago... and for
> quite a few months the machine was and became very susceptible to
> cutting out on me... the motherboard (or somewhere in there) would
> just start to make a screaching sound and would reboot but I would
> then have to physically reboot to stop the screaching.... In the end I
> had to put it to down to the power-supply.... but then I dismantled
> the computer and took the motherboard, hd and graphics card abroad,
> but never set it up, and then when I got back I set the machine back
> up but only once after a good few months got the screaching sound...
> last week actually....

Noises in a computer have got to be investigated: a fan could be failing.
You mentioned a possible heat problem on the chip: that's very important.
Crucial, possibly.

Your system crashed, and your hard disk couldn't save some data. I guess
it is a reiser partition. One of the classical symptoms is root not
having permissions (!) to touch some files. The solution is to run
reiserfsck from the rescue system. You cold even had a badblock: check for
it.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson