[SLE] backing up "proc" the directory
  • From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:48:11 -0700
I have been using tar to backup (for restore of) the directories under "/".

I was able to use "tar -cvzpf /tar_ball_dir/file_name.tar.gz /sub_directories
...where sub_directories were bin, etc, home, lib media, opt, root, sbin, srv, tmp, usr, and var.

But tar ran into problems with sys, dev, boot and proc.

I was able to use "cp -v -p -R /sub_directories /non_compressed_dir/
...where sub_directories were sys, dev, and boot.

But cp ran into problems with proc.

I remember some other archiving tool but cannot remember the name -- apparently it will back up the proc directory. Does anyone know the name of this archiving tool. I should probably be using it on all 4 files because it can also do compression.

Thanks -- Ted

< Previous Next >