Re: [SLE] backing up "proc" the directory
  • From: "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:15:02 -0600
Quoting Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I have been using tar to backup (for restore of) the directories under "/".
>
> I was able to use "tar -cvzpf /tar_ball_dir/file_name.tar.gz
> /sub_directories
> ...where sub_directories were bin, etc, home, lib media, opt, root,
> sbin, srv, tmp, usr, and var.
>
> But tar ran into problems with sys, dev, boot and proc.
>
> I was able to use "cp -v -p -R /sub_directories /non_compressed_dir/
> ...where sub_directories were sys, dev, and boot.
>
> But cp ran into problems with proc.
>
> I remember some other archiving tool but cannot remember the name --
> apparently it will back up the proc directory. Does anyone know the
> name of this archiving tool. I should probably be using it on all 4
> files because it can also do compression.
>
> Thanks -- Ted

There is no point in backing up the /proc directory. It is not a disk
filesystem. It is a psuedo-file system created by the kernel at
run-time that allows communication between the kernel and user space.

Also, not much point in backing up /tmp. The files there should not
expect to survive rebooting.

HTH,
Jeffrey