[Fwd: [SLE] Booting - shorter version - under 20k]
  • From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:24:11 -0700

I would like to construct a "boot diskette or cd" in place of a Boot Manager (located by default in the MBR on the first hard drive but can be elsewhere) that will allow me to boot to one of several installations on the same machine. I've made several dozen of these in the past using LILO with several valid optional sections.. I have one boot diskette for every machine. I now want to make one boot diskette for all the machines as well has having some special features. However, I first need to be clear on what the limitations are at the "Boot Prompt" so I want to start this exercise with a boot diskette from another machine having an older kernel and where the LILO sections are not valid for the machine I am going to use it on.

If for example I know I created two installations at "/dev/hda3" and one at "/dev/hdb2" on the same machine. Let's say there was no (or I did not want to use) Boot Manager using LILO or Grub located in the MBR of the first hard drive. Could I still use the boot prompt for the boot diskette from another system to boot up the 2 installations? In other words, when the boot prompt from the diskette appears could I type "/dev/hda3" or "/dev/hdb2" and that would boot up the installed system and no attempt would be made to select one of the LILO sections? The complications I see here are that LILO needs a map so if we have a LILO boot prompt response of "/dev/hda3" how is this response sufficient. With GRUB the prompt response can be using GRUB block notation, "chainloader (hd0, 2) +1" without the quotes.

I want to be able to change the operation at boot time using the RAM disk operation of the kernel to possibly bring up a bash shell to execute some commands much like YAST works but not installation oriented.

Thanks -- Ted

  • No further messages