Re: [SLE] kicked out of graphical boot mode
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:55:56 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2005-02-05 at 00:50 -0600, devosc wrote:

> I installed the smartmontools from the 9.1 distro cds, but it prompted
> (informed) me to perform a text first prior to enabeling in the run
> level editor.. can someone provide the syntax to use... I tried
> smartcl -t but it wants to know about a device?

Then, give it a device. There is a nice man page that explains it all,
with examples.

> Also, if not too much trouble, could some provide a short list of
> steps (commands) to perform (regularly) in order to get check /
> correct the disks... especially if after having to do a hard reboot...

We discussed this at length on the list not long ago. Search for it. I was
one of the participants, so it won't be difficult.

> I did try fsck but it said current drive had write permissions.... ???

You can not check a mounted partition.

However... if you fear your drive is damaged, use the tools provided by
your HD maker. It is usually a bootable floppy, which the image can be
downloaded from their web page.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson