Re: [SLE] SuSE support
  • From: David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:09:44 -0500
On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 16:08 -0500, James Knott wrote:
> > I feel that I too "have a higher level of skill than the average customer" and
> > I would also think that Linux users in general have a high skill level.
> > That's part of my frustration. I want Linux to succeed, but it cannot if
> > companies like Suse/Novell cannot provide support that is any better than
> > Microsoft.
>
> 1) MS charges far more than any Linux company for the retail version.
> 2) Try getting support from MS, if you didn't buy the retail version.
> If Windows came with an OEM copy, you're supposed to get support from
> the computer vendor.

Well, if someone's going to "go there," I'll point out (as of the last
time I called) that Microsoft charges $100 per support call for "home"
products, and $200 per call for "business" products. This is over and
above the cost of having a legally-licensed product. (OP is correct:
with an OEM license, you can't even make the call. Also, at my company's
size, the license is almost free; my point is only that support isn't
included in the purchase price.) Over the years, I've called 4 times.
They've solved my problem 2 out of those 4 times. In all 4 cases, they
were as "professional" as I would have expected. YMMV.