Re: [SLE] backing up "proc" the directory
  • From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:27:13 -0700
Randall

In the past I used Slackware. Slackware provided a template boot disk to which one could replace the kernel and the LILO file to create their own customized boot disk. Provision existed in a Slackware script to somehow plug into the boot disk file system the "/dev" and "/proc" directories. At least this is how I remember things but I'm getting old, stupid and slowly dying. Anyway, I was thinking that I needed the same directories if I were to manually create a boot disk for SuSE distribution and therefore wondered how best to move these two directories into the boot disk file system. Thus the question on back up of these two directories. I have backed them up in the past as I mentioned. So regardless of what you and others say, it can be done because I did it once and lived to tell the story. But I will try to go back to this Slackware script (if I can find it) and see if I am mistaken and then let you know what I found. May take a few weeks.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Randall R Schulz wrote:

Ted,

All of the contents of /proc are synthesized by the kernel to reflect the current status of the system. Nothing there is really a file, none of it is meaningfully backed up and none of it could even be restored.

Just avoid backing up /proc and /dev.

It sounds like you need to take in some Linux tutorials.
Randall Schulz

But cp ran into problems with proc.

I remember some other archiving tool but cannot remember the name --
apparently it will back up the proc directory. Does anyone know the
name of this archiving tool. I should probably be using it on all 4
files because it can also do compression.

Thanks -- Ted

< Previous Next >