Re: [SLE] PC running (SuSE 8.2 Pro / WinME) bootloader lilo -> grub
> On a UNIX-like operating system, that is done with the following
> commands:
>
> # cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
> # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
> 153+1 records in
> 153+1 records out
> #
>
> The device file name may be different. Consult the manual for your
> OS.

Jerry,

I am familiar with this info page. However it does not work, I get a "stage(x) geometry" error
(where (x) may be 1 or 2, I'd have to reboot again to check) and have to reboot without the
floppy. I'm convinced that I should be altering the grub.conf in some way but I'm not sure how!

Not sure whether this is relevant, but my (yast created) /boot/grub/device.map contains

(hd0) /dev/hda
(fd0) /dev/sda

Should (fd0) be /dev/sda? On my system sda4 is my parallel zip 250 drive.

PS: Thanks Ken for pointing out what seems obvious now regarding runlevel. Maybe seeing
the boot params displayed in the boot menu, unlike lilo, confused me.