Re: [SLE] update problem
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:28:11 -0500

Bob Schmidt wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| New to the list. I am running suse 9.1, I did an on-line update last
| night, but never restarted my computer. This morning when I turn it on,
| it goes through the boot process and then blank screen. I restart in the
| failsafe mode, and then type "startx" it says that "xinint" could not be
| found. I'm not real good with linux, but my computer was working fine
| until I updated it last night. Any ideas as to what I might do to get it
| up and running again?

Hi Bob,

I'm only guessing here, but if you have a special graphics card (i.e.
uses an nVidia chip) you'll have to fix your configuration due the
online-update installing a kernel update.

I don't know the procedure off the top of my head, but this has been
discussed many times on this list. Here's a link to a searchable
archive of suse-linux-e:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=suse-linux-e&r=1&w=2

Search it using "nVidia" and "kernel update" or "black screen" etc. and
you should be able to locate the necessary details.

HTH & regards,

- - Carl

- --