Re: [SLE] Re: 9.2 scsi install: no fstab found
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:50:01 -0500

Hi again, Jim

Jim Osborn wrote:
<snip>
| Thanks, Carl. I'll proceed with that in mind; it hadn't occurred to
| me that the basics on the installation CD might be bad.
<snip>

The CD is fine. You have two dove-tailing problems. In most cases they
would have appeared -- and been solved -- separately; either at
different times or on separate machines. Unfortunately, with your
unique combination of hardware, you've run into both at the same time.

Think of it this way:

1. If you were installing 9.2 on IDE instead of SCSI, you'd have made
the module diskettes, used them to complete your installation and
*/maybe/* you'd be thinking about why your CD drive isn't letting you
boot normally off the Linux CD.

2. If you were adding this SCSI controller into an already functioning
9.2 system, you'd /still/ be forced to deal with whatever the firmware /
module / config issues are.

So, try not to confuse one problem with the other. And please don't
become prematurely discouraged or disappointed with SuSE *or* Novell
*or* 9.2. This is a great distribution -- you just have a couple of
unique 'humps' to overcome.
A quick
| strategic question occurs, though: I'll need to get the corrected
| sym53c8xx module into the installation process, presumably by making
| a modules diskette in a format that linuxrc can recognize. The
| images on the CD seem to have a boot sector and a disk full of stuff
| that's not individual files. Will linuxrc take a module from a
| normal ext2 diskette?
<whack>

It just so happens that I've always used rawwrite.exe under Windows
(Gasp!) to create the floppies. Why? Because the only time I need a
Linux diskette is when the system that I need it for is down! The rest
of the time stuff goes in and out of the box via TCP/IP, CDRW, etc,.
Besides, MS makes a /great/ diskette duplication platform! ;-)

Anyway, the first step here is to isolate the exact cause of your SCSI
adapter problem. You may have to update the controller bios... or pass
some parameters to the module before it loads... or, or, or. It's all
conjecture at this point. If you'd like, get some of this research done
and holler back.

good luck & regards,

- - Carl

- --