Re: [SLE] problems getting MPlayer installed and running
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:50:46 -0500

Err.... addendum in order, here:

In hindsight, I could have worded this a little bit more accurately, so
I'll edit my own post...

| The primary MPlayer rpms are available in all three flavors.
| So are the add-on/dependency packages.

Not all the time, however. Some packages are architecture-independent.
~ You can also safely mix i386, i586 and i686 rpms. Each has been
optimized during compilation for it's respective processor, but they'll
all run on a 32 bit machine. Of course, 64 bit packages will only run
on 64 bit systems.

| Pick one architecture, hence one xxx.rpm suffix, and stick with it when
| you're downloading the set.

Given the clarification, above, this advice still stands. It just isn't
a hard and fast rule.

Any better?

- - Carl

- --