Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.0 OpenOffice.org slowdown in opening files and swap space usage
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:37:23 +0200
Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Friday 04 February 2005 05:00 am, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

I have over the last few days noticed that a particular OOo
Spreadsheet(70k) and Writer(1.2Mb) document I work on daily, is opening
up slower and slower. Whilst I realize that it may be because I am using
an older version (1.1.0) of OOo, it does not seem to explain why it has
suddenly got slower over the last week.

The box is a 1Ghz AMD with 256Mb of RAM and a 256MB swap partition.
[snip]
Over the weekend I am going to try and update OOo via Yast to 1.1.3 as
that is what I have on the 9.2 CD's? But still why suddenly get slower?
Both files reside on my /home partition and the system on boot hasn't
needed to fsck the partition.

Look at top again while doing the OO open and report what the line Cpu(s) says. Quite often there is a process that is soaking up a lot of system (sy) time.
It was a little high at 40-50%, but then the Calc document being opened
has a LOT of calculations and graphs ie 25 sheets, mostly each of 30
lines X 20 columns.

I also know that opening Acroread in a mozilla session can soak
up the entire machine. There is a bug there somewhere because it doesn't happen when opening a PDF outside of moz.
I know this and mostly have been opening my Calc document after signon
and only then opening Moz and Dialup.

If you really want a test, reboot and do your OO open first thing. My guess is that it will go quickly but that won't tell you where the problem lies.
Well I partially solved the problem of the 1.2Mb Writer document taking
FOREVER to open. I started it early one morning and let the process run
until it had completed opening the document (~ 12hrs). I then removed
the additional formatting(line numbering) I had added earlier and saved
it. Now the Writer document only takes a few minuted to open.

Hylton Conacher - Linux user # 229959 at http://counter.li.org
Currently using SuSE 9.0 Professional with KDE 3.1