Re: [SLE] 9.2 scsi install: no fstab found
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:12:32 -0500

Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru) wrote:

|> For some reason, your system is booting from one of the floppy images it
|> found on the CD. This is ok -- that's why they're there -- but to
|> proceed successfully you'll need to create and use the modules
|> diskette's, too.
|>

| Sorry, Carl, but I think kernel modules are located on root disk image
| (/boot/root - 57 MB on SuSE 9.2 DVD). Modules 1, 2, etc only needed if
| one want to boot from floppies, not DVD. Please correct me if I am
| wrong. I have very similar problem - SuSE 9.2 do not recognizes SATA
| hardware RAID neither on Intel 875, neither on 7220 m/b.

Hi Andrei,

I appreciate your feedback, but Jim's (the OP's) system prompted him to
insert modules diskettes after being booted from the install CD.

As I understand it, this only occurs when the boot component of the
primary image is refused or unrecognized by the system. The alternates
are installed on the CD for just these situations.

Which of the alternates was being picked up is unclear to me -- as I
haven't studied this process in detail for 9.2 yet -- but the main focus
of my post was to reassure Jim (the OP) and explain this fallback
installation concept to him.

Thank you for paying attention, though, 'cause the more input the better
under these circumstances.

regards,

- - Carl

- --