Re: [SLE] USB ADSL question.
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:31:37 -0500
On Monday 07 February 2005 07:38 am, mikael persson wrote:
> Hi list,
> I am completly new to the world of linux and quite overwhelmed with
> all manner of configuration this little beatuy requires.
> I consider myself a total novice and know hardly anything, but will
> try and learn as much as I can.
> Now off to my first question, I am trying to configure my USB ADSL
> modem to work with suse 9.2. But am having no luck.
> I specified everything I could during the install of suse. All
> switches and options seemed to be there but that didn't help much.
>
> The manual states that suse only deals with PPPoE but yast has the
> option to specify PPPoA (that my provider and modem require). Which
> one should I believe?
>
> I have tried to look around in as many option boxes as possible but
> haven't found any solution to this problem. Is there anyone out there
> who could lend me some help in regards to what direction I should
> persue?
>
> The ADSL modem in question is a speedtouch 330, connected via USB.
>
> I am very grateful for any help you can throw my way.
>
> cheers,
> Mikael
==========

Mikael,
The quick answer, simple answer: connect the modem via ethernet not
USB! You'll find things work so much better. Very few broadband
modems now come with only one interface, so unless your hardware just
doesn't have an ethernet port, unlikely, save yourself some time and
frustration.

I'm sure there are other mails concerning this in the archives, but
most, I think you'll find, just switched to ethernet and had no more
problems. Here is the searchable mail list archives url:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=suse-linux-e&r=1&w=2

regards,
Lee

Registered Linux User #225206
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being
run by smart people who are putting us on or by
imbeciles who really mean it." ...Mark Twain