Re: [SLE] 9.2 FTP download freeze
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:34:35 -0600
a.bridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

After my system conects to the ftp server and finishes loading RAMDISK, it
returns to the start insatllation screen and freezes there everytime. The hard
drive is known good and the computer is also known good. I used the same type
computer (Compaq Deskpro EN, 733 P3, 256mb ram, 40gb Maxtor HD) and ftp server
as my 9.1 install with no problem.

Using ftp server: 195.135.221.132
From directory: pub/suse/i386/9.2

Thank in advance for help

Aaron

That's ftp.suse.com, and no wonder it's crapping out on you -- the server probably has reached its limit on the number of anonymous connections.

SuSE even tells us that we should avoid using its servers, if possible, and use one of the many mirrors. From the main SuSE Pro page at Novell, you just move your rodent over "downloads and demos/SuSE ftp server" and then click on "mirror" to get to http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/downloads/ftp/int_mirrors.html and then pick a convenient mirror. I've always found the ones at GATech and ANL to be good, though GATech is sometimes unavailable or cannot give you much bandwidth. Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts (ALE) and SUNY/Buffalo also have mirrors, while UTenn/Knoxville has two, though I've not used any of these. (Of course, you will want to get the actual URLs from that page so you can "dig" for their IPs.)