Re: [SLE] Boot Parameters-- re Darryl
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:31:02 +0000
Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Monday 07 February 2005 08:19 pm, Ted Hilts wrote:

Darryl

I read the man page before I posted.
I could not read from the man page or your "clues" the method or
process of placing up to 64 alternatives. I don't want a Boot Diskette
or CD for every machine -- I want one Boot Diskette or CD to use to boot
up all my machines. This means every alternative could specify
different machines as well as kernel modifications or even a different
kernel as well as different Linux distributions. This makes the
alternatives NOT relative to the ISO image on the Boot Disk. Your
selection suggested to me that I cannot take a SuSE Boot Diskette or CD
and use this to boot up another Linux machine -- just the machine from
which the ISO was derived. In other words I cannot take the Boot Disk
for machine #1 and use it to boot up machine #2. I can, it seems,
provide alternative kernels as alternatives on the same machine, but
that is not what I am looking at doing.

Thanks -- Ted

Please learn what GRUB is and what it does and then you'll see how easy this all is. I don't think at this point that you have a clue. What you want to do is very EASY with grub and you're just spinning your wheels until you learn something about boot loaders.

Darryl Gregorash wrote:

Again reading from the *manpage* yields a clue:

" -b eltorito_boot_image
Specifies the path and filename of the boot image to be
used when making an "El Torito"
bootable CD. The pathname must be relative to the
source path specified to mkisofs. This
option is required to make an "El Torito" bootable CD.
-eltorito-alt-boot
Start with a new set of "El Torito" boot parameters.
This allows to have more than one El
Torito boot on a CD. A maximum of 63 El Torito boot
entries may be put on a single CD."

Presumably, if we RTF[ine] *manpage* we may find further clues.

Seems he needs each machine to be a boot server. The simplest solution would be to build a cluster from identical machines using something like clusterknoppix, but even that doesn't seem to fit the requirement. If this was offered to me as a consultant, I'd take it on if the money was good for success or failure.
Mixes of distros, kernels, arp broadcasts going hither and dither etc., it seems a very and overly complex ask - not knowing the hardware configurations is another problem, he could, if hardware is identical, install multiple distros on one, then clone the disk(s).
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and Keen Flyer
=====ALMOST ALL LINUX USED HERE, Solaris 10 SPARC is just for play=====