Re: [SLE] Linux and hardware mp3 players
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:19:42 -0800
On Tue February 8 2005 9:47 am, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Brad,
>
> On Tuesday 08 February 2005 09:41, Brad Bourn wrote:
> > Good information. Sounds like you have more experience than
> > me. I haven't used an MP3 player that looks like a USB HD.
> > I've heard though that some of them that have this feature,
> > still doesn't allow you to add mp3's to the device to be
> > played.

I recieved a neurosII
http://www.neurosaudio.com
for xmas and have been quite happy with it (although I did have to
send the first unit back). Their customer support was excellent.

Plusses
Open Source Hardware!
Open Source Firmware!
2 second party syncing software solutions for linux (one in java,
the other in perl)
USB Hard (20, 40,60,80gig) drive is accessable to linux (fat
filesystem)
Plays Ogg, Wave, mp3 (flac support is rumored but slow in coming)
Records high quality audio (built in mic or line input) wave or mp3
format
Broadcasts FM (use through your car stereo etcetera)

Drawbacks (to some people)
About 2 times as deep and heavy as an Ipod
Still occasional clitches w/ hardware / firmware reported by some
users.
Replacing batteries not as simple as w/ some other units.
I'm not the only user who has reported and returned a problematic
unit. Replacement time was incredibly fast and trouble free.

I'm happy with mine. Although they don't directly support linux or
bsd (the native database program is for winders) they have open
sourced their hardware and firmware specs. I find this a compelling
reason to support them.

Mysteriously, since I upgraded to suse9.2 from 9.0 last week Sorune
(my syncing software of choice) has acted a bit flakey. Don't know
why yet.

Hope this is useful
--
dh