Re: [SLE] Help I messed up Yast and rpm somehow
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:36:55 -0500

david rankin wrote:
<snip>
| Several months ago, I installed samba 3.0.7 on my 9.0 box. I probably
| did an rpm -Uvh. Now rpm thinks I have 2.2.8a and 3.0.7 installed. Is
| there a way to fix this?
<snip>
| Needless to say Yast is not happy from a dependency standpoint.
<snip>

Hi David,

I'd be surprised if you introduced an inconsistency into your rpm
database with -Uhv. That's the mode that a) removes the older and
installs the newer package in the case of an upgrade, and b) installs it
as new if an earlier version isn't found on the system. You're more
likely to introduce dependency conflicts using --force, which say's to
rpm "To heck with it! I want it installed now!"

Also, don't confuse the YaST2 gui configuration utilities with the
underlying programs. In this case, there's a) the samba client package
and b) the YaST2 module designed to help you configure that client
package. I don't have any dependency issues on this system and here's
my output:

linux:/home/carlh # rpm -qa | egrep samba
samba-doc-3.0.9-2.1
yast2-samba-server-2.10.7-3.1
samba-vscan-0.3.5-10.3
samba-3.0.9-2.3
yast2-samba-client-2.10.5-2.1
kdebase3-samba-3.3.2-7
samba-client-3.0.9-2.3

FWIW, the next time you're in the YaST2 Install and Remove Software
module, look for the "Expert" mode drop-down list at the bottom (I think
that's where it is, anyway.) Use that to make certain it *isn't*
ignoring any dependency conflicts. I think if you've selected in the
past to ignore a conflict it remembers that setting until you undo it
later. /That/ could be indirectly causing problems now if you're
installing/removing or upgrading packages.

HTH & regards,

- - Carl

- --