Failed ReiserFS
  • From: Rikard Johnels <rikjoh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:33:40 +0100
Hi all!

I have a client that have lost two 30 gig disks with a huge number of
files he uses in a project.
The server (Linux SuSE 9.1) suddenly hickuped, and when it came back there was
files on the discs but no NFS. ('df showed about 75% usage of the discs)
After restart of NFS a 'df' shows total use 1% and the files are gone
By some reason (so far unknown) the disk is suddenly empty.
They are created under Linux and uses ReiserFS, so he thought them to be
"safe". (No he didn't back them up regardles of warnings from me)

I did a 'dd if=/dev/hdc of=image.hdc and if i look at that file i can see all
the data. I can find all filenames but the fat seems empty.
Is there a safe way to try to restore the lost files?
Parttitiontable is OK. ReiserFS in it self didn't complain about anything,
and SMART didn't register any failing disks.

Where shall i start to look?
--

/Rikard

Rikard Johnels email : rikjoh@xxxxxxxxx