Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:12:52 -0600
Clayton wrote:

hdd needs to be swapped out with a new drive (not enough room on the
old hdd). So the hardware is swapped, and computer restarted... and
GRUB locks solid.

The only way we found to complete the hardware swap was to pre-edit
GRUB and then power down, swap hardware and power back on again. There has to be a simpler way to do this... but we can't get past GRUB
locking up.

What do you mean by "pre-edit GRUB?" Please post your /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map files.

When it does freeze, GRUB can lock up at any of several places. Do you see anything on your monitor at the point where it freezes?