Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:14:28 -0500
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:49 am, Clayton wrote:
> Is there an easy way to swap hard drives with Linux?
>
> Hmmm better clarify a bit. The computer has 3 hard drives and a CDROM
> on the IDE controller. hda is a FAT32 Windows drive, hdb is a CDROM
> and hdc and hdd are Linux drives. Linux (SuSE9.0) is installed on
> hdc, and hdd is a Reiser formatted storage drive.
>
> hdd needs to be swapped out with a new drive (not enough room on the
> old hdd). So the hardware is swapped, and computer restarted... and
> GRUB locks solid.
>
> The only way we found to complete the hardware swap was to pre-edit
> GRUB and then power down, swap hardware and power back on again.
> There has to be a simpler way to do this... but we can't get past GRUB
> locking up.
>
> So... what is this easier way?

It would help if you told us:

1) What are you 'pre-editing' in grub? (why is grub even looking at hdd)?

2) If the new drive has been partitioned yet?

There should be no problems with grub if the new drive has been partitioned
and there's nothing grub needs on it. And if it hasn't been partitioned
and/or formatted, doing that should solve your problem.