Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:25:33 +0100
> > The only way we found to complete the hardware swap was to pre-edit
> > GRUB and then power down, swap hardware and power back on again.
> > There has to be a simpler way to do this... but we can't get past GRUB
> > locking up.
> It would help if you told us:
>
> 1) What are you 'pre-editing' in grub? (why is grub even looking at hdd)?

:-P It's late... I meant pre editing fstab. Basically what we did
was change the entry in fstab for hdd.

> 2) If the new drive has been partitioned yet?

No, it's a completely new drive.

> There should be no problems with grub if the new drive has been partitioned
> and there's nothing grub needs on it. And if it hasn't been partitioned
> and/or formatted, doing that should solve your problem.

We also tried with a drive with existing data on it (FAT32 formatted)
and also locks up.

I don't have the computer here with me and the guy who owns it has
already turned in for the night. I'll get more details as soon as I
can (ie the fstab)...