Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:53:27 -0600
Clayton wrote:

:-P It's late... I meant pre editing fstab. Basically what we did
was change the entry in fstab for hdd.

2) If the new drive has been partitioned yet?

No, it's a completely new drive.

There should be no problems with grub if the new drive has been partitioned
and there's nothing grub needs on it. And if it hasn't been partitioned
and/or formatted, doing that should solve your problem.

We also tried with a drive with existing data on it (FAT32 formatted)
and also locks up.

I don't have the computer here with me and the guy who owns it has
already turned in for the night. I'll get more details as soon as I
can (ie the fstab)...

Well, duh.. you have a line in fstab that probably looks a lot like this:

/dev/hdd1 <somewhere> reiserfs defaults 1 1

and this thing is getting mounted every time you boot. Of course it will fail when you try to mount another drive that isn't formatted Reiser, or isn't even partitioned.

However, locking up isn't something I'd expect; rather, I'd expect during the boot process that you'd see output to the effect that HDD is not formatted Reiser (or if unpartitioned, no partition table found), hence isn't being mounted. When you are able, please email me the /var/log/boot.msg for a successful as well as a failed boot (whenever you boot, /var/log/boot.msg is renamed /var/log/boot.omsg so you shouldn't need to do anything more than reconfigure and reboot).