Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:49:43 -0500
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 12:53 pm, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> Well, duh.. you have a line in fstab that probably looks a lot like this:
>
> /dev/hdd1      <somewhere>   reiserfs   defaults              1 1
>
> and this thing is getting mounted every time you boot. Of course it will
> fail when you try to mount another drive that isn't formatted Reiser, or
> isn't even partitioned.
>
> However, locking up isn't something I'd expect; rather, I'd expect
> during the boot process that you'd see output to the effect that HDD is
> not formatted Reiser (or if unpartitioned, no partition table found),
> hence isn't being mounted. When you are able, please email me the
> /var/log/boot.msg for a successful as well as a failed boot (whenever
> you boot, /var/log/boot.msg is renamed /var/log/boot.omsg so you
> shouldn't need to do anything more than reconfigure and reboot).

And to add to all of the above.... if it's the entry in fstab that you are
diddling with then GRUB is not your problem. You are way beyond grub by the
time the fstab gets looked at.

You would be best off the 'pre-edit' the fstab..... do the partitioning and
formatting, then re-edit the fstab and try to re-boot. Should work as I
said in another post.

< Previous Next >