Re: [Fwd: [SLE] the directory "proc"] --Linux Virus and Spam pkgs-re Carlos
  • From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:04:50 -0700
Carlos
I will see what I can do regarding these 2 Linux packages but first my email will have to be moved over to a Linux machine. Currently I use a Windows 95 machine to bring in the email from my email account on a USA server and then through my ISP to this Win 95 machine. This way I am not using a production machine on my LAN and if the Win 95 machine blows up because of a virus then no major harm done. On the Win95 machine I isolate the contaminated email files and clean up the email files. When the Win 95 machine is clean I (via shares) move the email to a clean XP Pro production machine to be read and redistributed into appropriate files. I send email from either machine.

I use Proland's Protector Plus anti virus and used to use Norton. The Worms crawl through both of these Anti-Virus packages not even detected by Norton. Apparently Proland does not feel that they should adjust their package to either quarantine or remove the virus and insist that I must manually identify the virus, delete the file, and take other measures to clean up the inbox and trash files. They say this is the only way to deal with worms. So I run Protector Plus from XP Pro to identify the worms on Win 95 and then clean up Win 95. All this is a lot of work and time consuming and one of the reasons why I am slow responding with my email. I get a lot of email and I can't do any other email activity, like reading email, or responding to email, until all the incoming email has been loaded otherwise Win95 crashes. I get a lot of email every day and my gateways work through slow dial up lines as I am located in a rural area of Alberta, Canada and there are no other alternatives available to me.

Once I am able to find the time to create a Linux email account and implement the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam everyone has been talking to me about then I will take this Win95 machine and make it a dual boot and run a Linux email set up. As I mentioned in another email to the list, I think I will start with a Mozilla Linux email account and then move on to Sendmail or some other Linux package. But I cannot do this right away.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

I get dozens of those emails. Windows worms can't damage me, and almost all spam is catched by SpamAssassin. Viruses are filtered by amavis, so I don't see them, unless I want to.

< Previous Next >