Re: [SLE] Boot Parameters -- Darryl G to the rescue
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:25:36 -0500
* Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-09-05 19:14]:

> I have too many people contradicting each other here and feel I need a
> working example that would settle the feasibility of doing this thing.
> Help is help only when it really helps solve the problem. There is too
> much of this "Go get lost and read about it at such an such a place". I
> don't have a trillion years to figure this out. And, I'm not the least
> interested in finding out WHY I cannot do this thing. That's why I want
> an example, (at least 2 machines with different OS). Oddly enough and if
> the issue is so simple, why has no one an example to provide me even
> though it is a "simple" chore for the boot informed -- which obviously
> I'm not because it does not seem simple to me -- but then I'm dense.

Seems to me I saw a for-hire offer earlier in this thread. Since you
feel overwhelmed by the task facing you, perhaps you should consider
the offer.

you requested an example of a grub.conf file to work from:
/boot/grub/menu.lst:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Tue Dec 30 21:51:20 2003

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 12
gfxmenu (hd0,8)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Linux
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 vga=0x31A splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi hdclun=0 hdh=ide-scsi hdhlun=0 showopts
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Linux - SuSE 8.1###
title Linux - SuSE 8.1
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 hdc=ide-scsi hdh=ide-scsi acpi=off apm=on vga=794
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
root (fd0)
chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Memory Test###
title Memory Test
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/memtest.bin

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: original_mbr###
title MBR before Installation
chainloader (hd0,8)/boot/backup_mbr

HOG # US1244711 Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/photos