Re: [SLE] Boot Parameters -- Darryl G to the rescue
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:10:03 +0000
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-09-05 19:14]:

I have too many people contradicting each other here and feel I need a working example that would settle the feasibility of doing this thing. Help is help only when it really helps solve the problem. There is too much of this "Go get lost and read about it at such an such a place". I don't have a trillion years to figure this out. And, I'm not the least interested in finding out WHY I cannot do this thing. That's why I want an example, (at least 2 machines with different OS). Oddly enough and if the issue is so simple, why has no one an example to provide me even though it is a "simple" chore for the boot informed -- which obviously I'm not because it does not seem simple to me -- but then I'm dense.

Seems to me I saw a for-hire offer earlier in this thread. Since you
feel overwhelmed by the task facing you, perhaps you should consider
the offer.

you requested an example of a grub.conf file to work from:
/boot/grub/menu.lst:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Tue Dec 30 21:51:20 2003

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 12
gfxmenu (hd0,8)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Linux
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 vga=0x31A splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi hdclun=0 hdh=ide-scsi hdhlun=0 showopts
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Linux - SuSE 8.1###
title Linux - SuSE 8.1
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 hdc=ide-scsi hdh=ide-scsi acpi=off apm=on vga=794
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
root (fd0)
chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Memory Test###
title Memory Test
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/memtest.bin

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: original_mbr###
title MBR before Installation
chainloader (hd0,8)/boot/backup_mbr

Each partition listed could have a different distro installed on it, I've dealt with a box for an ex-colleague who had Win2K, RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE 8.2 installed. We added another partition with SuSE 9.0 on it, so he could boot whatever he needed. With 2 identical machines, hard disks cloned and rsync run to keep both pretty much the same, that's about the closest I can get to what is required as far as I can guess. However, if the hardware is different, you've just cancelled out flexibility. The more complex you make a setup, the more you impact reliability, simplicity has a lot to recommend it.
I'm still not clear on what advantages are sought - the thinking behind it all.
I've got 5 Linux machines, 1 SuSE 9.2 x86, 1 laptop SuSE 9.2 x86_64, a P-II/333 laptop SuSE 9.2 x86, 1 Mandrake 10.1 box with DVB card and 1 gentoo box. The critical files and directories, I rsync across to other boxes so I have accessible backups on multiple machines.
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and Keen Flyer
=====ALMOST ALL LINUX USED HERE, Solaris 10 SPARC is just for play=====

< Previous Next >