Re: [SLE] Konqueror IDN Spoofing Security Issue
  • From: Chuck Stuettgen <cstuettgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:37:41 -0600
On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 14:01 +0000, Mick Higgins wrote:

> Maybe it's just my set-up, but I certainly wouldn't click on a URL in
> an unsolicited email under any circumstances.

Nor would probably most of the people on this list, unfortunately, as an
IT Director, I see people do it all the time.

<soapbox mode on>

I have seen people who simply can not resist clicking a link in an
e-mail no matter how much they have been warned. They are so mystified
by computers that they simply can not understand why it can be
dangerous. When their computer crashes and you finally get to the root
cause, invariably, they will respond with, well the e-mail came from one
of my friends. When you try to explain the concept of spoofed e-mail
headers, their eyes glaze over. You might as well have been trying to
explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity to them. Most of them literally
do not care. They know the Tech Support people will fix their machine
if something happens to it.

To illustrate how clueless most people are, this is an incident that
happened this morning, and I promise I am not making this up.

I got a call from a user whose computer had hung when she shut it down
yesterday afternoon, and it was still showing the "Windows is shutting
down" screen when she arrived this morning. I said, no problem just
press the power button and hold it in for about 10 seconds and the
computer will shutdown. Then you can restart it.

She asked where is the power button?

Now mind you, she has turned on this same computer every working day for
nearly two years. I thought to myself, you have got to be kidding me?

I held my tongue and replied it is the round one on the front of the
computer.

She replied, Do you mean the ON button?

After I replied, yes. I hear her counting out loud. 1,2,3,4,5,6,...
when she gets to about 30 I ask did it shut down?

Nope, she replies, It still shows the "shutting down screen".

After, I silently count to ten, I tell her I'll be right up.

I get to her desk and find that she has pushed the power button so hard
it has been pushed completely out of case, and she still has her finger
on it.

After I open the case and re-seat the button in its guide, it shuts
right off.

+++++

We will have to deal with clueless computer users, until our children,
the children of the computer age, are the ones running the show. Or
until we start requiring everyone to get a license to operate a
computer, and the only way to get the license is to take a mandatory 6
month course complete with written tests. And the penalty for operating
a computer without a license is 6 months in jail. Yeah thats the
ticket.

I must be dreaming... It sounds good anyway.

</soapbox mode off>

< Previous Next >