Re: [SLE] Looking for Trunking Capabilities
  • From: Rhugga <rhugga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:09:44 -0800 (PST)

--- Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 22:21, Rhugga wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any clean, enterprise-quality solutions for trunkning 2
> > or more interfaces for performance and availability purposes? I last looked
> > into this about 1 1/2 years ago and at the time it required a kernel patch.
> > I was hoping SLES 9 and the 2.6 kernel would allow for this w/o risky
> > kernel patches.
>
> OK, I'll shoot seeing as no one has replied yet. What is "trunking" - what
> exactly would you like to do?
>
> --
> Kind regards
> Hans du Plooy
> SagacIT
> hansdp at sagacit dot com
>
> --

It binds two or more interfaces togetgher and sends/receives packets round-robin (well on Sun
there are different polices that gorven this behavior, round-rboin is just but one) between the
two. It provides instant failover as well as bandwidth consolidation. I have sun systems that have
4-gb bandwidth accross a single 'interface' using 4 copper gigabit cards.

The downfall is that your switch also has to support port aggregation. (any decent enterprise
quality switch surely will)

It offers a very clean and robust solution for protecting against NIC failure and also provides
added performance.

Hope this helps...