Re: [SLE] Konsole errors after OOo update
  • From: Jeffrey Laramie <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:22:54 -0500
On Thursday 10 February 2005 11:04, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently updated OOo on my SuSE 9.0 system from 1.1.0 to 1.1.3.
>
> Everything has been just fine, to my limited knowledge except in the
> following scenario:
>
> Just before I am to shutdown the machine for the night, I log out of KDE
> as a user and login as root.
> I mount the HDD to be used as my backup destination, and delete the old
> /home from it using Konqueror.
> Then I open Konsole and whatever I do (normally it is the command of
> 'cp -a /home /backupHDD/home') there works fine but the Konsole window
> on KDE CANNOT be closed, although I have not tried killing the process
> via top from the Alt-F2 console.
> The only way to get some sort of decent behaviour out of the system is
> to log out, or failing that Alt-F2 and reboot/shutdown.
>
> What could be affecting this as the OOo update was done, satisfying
> allot of dependencies, with Yast? How can I repair it, preferably
> without reverting back to OOo 1.1.0 or forward to OOo 1.1.4?

I don't have an answer to this question but I have a suggestion. You're
putting a lot of effort into a procedure that is easily automated. Why don't
you put rsync in a cron job? This would be about 100x faster than the way you
are doing it and you don't even have to be there. There's probably a dozen
ways to do this but a simple way is to put a bash script in /etc/cron.daily
that runs:

rsync -a --delete /home/ /backupHDD/home

This will create a mirror of the /home directory and delete any file in the
target that has been deleted in /home. See man rsync for all the options.
I'm not sure why you remount the target drive every day, but if you need to
you can put the mount command in the script as well.

Jeff

< Previous Next >