Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:14:25 +0000
On Thursday 10 February 2005 12:30 pm, Clayton wrote:
> Some new info... I still don't have the fstab (coming later.. have to
> get it off the remote machine and emailed to me)...
>
> As for the GRUB not being happy about swapping out drives....
> hda=fat32 (Windows installed)
> hdb=CDROM
> hdc=Linux installed
> hdd=storage.
>
> If hda is removed or replaced,

There's your problem. If it is removed, all the other drives will say whoopee
and promote themselved 1 letter.

If SuSE is on /dev/hdc, it will probably depend on one of the first 2 drives
for something [ie kernel], because when GRUB runs, you are limited to BIOS
functionality and can't see the other drives. So I suspect that there is a
small boot partirtion on /dev/hda or similar, which you are removing.

> and the Linux boot floppy is in at
> boot, we get the message "Booting from diskette" and then the next
> line says " GRUB _"  and all processes stop at that point... total
> lock of the computer.  Point to note... GRUB is not installed on the
> MBR of hda... it is only on the floppy disk.  GRUB is looking to
> /hdc1/boot/grub.  A similar error happened when we swapped hdb (the
> CDROM) for a regular (empty unformatted) hard drive.

The cdrom cannot be /dev/hdb, only a real HD will take this designation. Some
confusion of terminology here. How do you derive its name?

Please post your GRUB config files.

> My question is maybe better stated as.. why is GRUB unhappy about the
> drives changing if nothing is ever pointing to those drives in GRUB?
> As far as GRUB is concerned, the Windows mount point (hda) doesn't
> exist - the GRUB boot is not setup to multiboot.. only to boot Linux
> (SuSE9.0) on hdc1.  If hda and hdb are removed (for example) and Linux
> is installed on hdc (Primary Master on IDE2) does the mount point for
> that drive then become hda or stay as hdc?

Now you have restated your question, I would challenge its premise, that GRUB
does not point.

hth

Vince Littler